Though nowadays students are available with a number of lucrative career options in any stream, the traditionally persistent charm for medical education has remained unchanged. A major number of students who opted for Science (with Biology) in 10+2 are desirous of graduating in the top medical courses like M.B.B.S. and B.D.S.
If you are also among these medical field aspirants, I’m sure you must be looking for the best medical colleges that offer quality medical education and have the best faculty & infrastructure.
Considering this, in this article, I have specifically focused on the top 10 medical colleges in India. Along with a brief description, I have also mentioned the admission process followed by each of these colleges.
Top 10 Medical Colleges In India : Rankings, Eligibility, & Admission Procedure
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- Christian Medical Colleges, Vellore
- Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC)
- Armed Forces Medical College
- Lady Hardinge Medical College
- University College of Medical Sciences & G.T.B. Hospital (UCMS)
- Grant Medical College
- Kasturba Medical College (KMC)
- King George’s Medical University
- John’s Medical College
Given below are the details pertaining these colleges:
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
AIIMS are a group of autonomous educational institutions, declared as “Institutions of National Importance” under the Act of Parliament. The group came into existence with the establishment of its first Institute known as AIIMS New Delhi in 1956. AIIMS New Delhi is now the no. 1 medical college in India.
Located adjacent to the posh locality of South Extension, the institute boasts of its world-class infrastructure, distinguished faculty and eminent alumni.
When it comes to medical education in India, no other college has been able to beat the standards set by it, so far. It has been at No. 1 consistently from 2005 to 2015, i.e., 11 years in a row.
- To secure admission in AIIMS New Delhi, the candidate must appear in the entrance examination conducted by AIIMS.
- Admission to all the 7 centers of AIIMS is done through the common entrance exam conducted separately for all the undergraduate courses.
Note: The AIIMS MBBS entrance test will be conducted on May 29 this year.
Christian Medical Colleges, Vellore
Christian Medical College has maintained its position among the top 5 medical colleges for the past ten years.
In 1900, Ida S. Scudder (the daughter of an American Missionary couple), who was moved by the medical condition of Indians at that time, started a small dispensary in Vellore.
This dispensary was upgraded to a 40-bed hospital named Mary Taber Schell Memorial Hospital in 1902 which was further upgraded to a medical college named Christian Medical College. The college started offering the M.B.B.S. degree from 1942.
Christian Medical College started a Nursing college in 1946, which happens to be India’s first Nursing college.
The college has now grown to offer over 100 undergraduate and postgraduate courses including M.B.B.S., B.Sc. Nursing and Ph.D. programs in various fields.
- To secure admission in Christian Medical College, candidates are required to appear for the entrance examination conducted by the college.
- The candidates who have successfully cleared the entrance examination will further have to appear for the special tests and interviews conducted by the college.
Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC)
Ranked no. 3 by for 2015, the college had consistently maintained its position in the top 10 for the past ten years.
Located at Bahadur Shah ZafarMarg, a central location in the national capital Delhi, Maulana Azad Medical College is named after the renowned freedom fighter and the first Education Minister of India, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. It is a Government college affiliated to the University of Delhi.
The college houses LokNayak Hospital, G.B Pant Hospital, and Guru Nanak Eye Centre in its enormous 122 acres campus.
The college was founded in 1956 with a vision to offer quality education in the field of Medicine and Nursing. The college has an excellent student teacher ratio with 426 faculty members for 535 students, which is an indication of the standard of education that it offers to its students.
- Admission to all the undergraduate and postgraduate courses of the college is administered by the Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi.
- For admission to M.B.B.S., students are required to appear in the All India Pre-Medical Test (AIPMT), conducted by C.B.S.E.
Armed Forces Medical College
Located in the city of Pune, the Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC) offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the fields of medicine and nursing. The training and education provided to candidates entering the college are specific to the requirements of the armed forces of India.
The college was established in 1948 and is managed by the Indian Armed Forces. It has been ranked no. 4 for 2015 and has been among the top 5 for the past ten years.
At AFMC, students are provided with the best infrastructure and amenities. Besides, the candidates entering the college have assured career prospects in Indian defense services.
Recognized by the Medical Council of India, AFMC is responsible for providing the entire pool of medical professionals to all the three branches of Indian Armed Forces, i.e., Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force.
- Admission to the M.B.B.S. course of AFMC is available on the basis of AIPMT (All India Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Entrance Test).
- Candidates who qualify the exam are called for an interview.
- On the basis of the interview, a total of 130 candidates (including 25 girls) are admitted to the college.
Lady Hardinge Medical College
A constituent of the Faculty of Medical Sciences, Delhi University since 1950, Lady Hardinge Medical College is situated in the central part of Delhi, Connaught Place.
Ranked no. 5 for 2015, the college has consistently been a part of the top 10 list of medical colleges for the past ten years.
To provide a solution to the conservative outlook of Indian parents of not sending their daughters to any co-educational institution, Lady Hardinge of Penhurst, the wife of the then Viceroy of India, Charles Hardinge, founded the college in 1916. Now, it is among the finest colleges for Medical education for women in India.
Initially, the college could provide admission to only 16 candidates every year, however; now the number of seats has been increased to 200. The Lady Hardinge alumni love to be called Hardonians.
The college boasts of its beautiful lush green 60-acre campus which houses one of the oldest medical libraries, a well-furnished auditorium and a number of modern laboratories. The college comprises 8 departments, viz. the Departments of Physiology, Microbiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Pathology, Forensic Medicine, Pharmacology and Community Medicine.
- Only female candidates are eligible for admission to the college.
- Admission to Lady Hardinge College is made strictly through the Delhi PMT (Delhi Pre Medical Test) which is going to be clubbed with All India PMT soon.
University College of Medical Sciences & G.T.B. Hospital (UCMS)
UCMS was established in 1971 as a constituent of the University of Delhi. The college campus spread over an enormous area, houses 21 Departments functioning under it along with two hostels, one each for boys and girls. Besides, the college campus also includes the Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital, which serves as a training center for UCMS’s students.
UCMS was ranked no. 6 for 2015. Also, it is ranked among the top institutes in PubMed journal index.
- Candidates are advised to visit the official website from time to time to get detailed information about its admission procedure.
Grant Medical College
Grant Medical College has managed to maintain its position in the top ten medical colleges of India for the last 11 years, i.e., 2005-2015 consistently.
Affiliated to Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, the college was founded in 1845 and is among the oldest Medical colleges in India.
The college is situated in Byculla (a neighborhood in South Mumbai), on the campus of Sir J.J. Hospital. The college proudly boasts of being recognized by the Medical Council of Singapore.
- To secure admission to Grant Medical College, candidates are required to appear in MHTCET (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test), conducted by the Government of Maharashtra.
Kasturba Medical College (KMC)
Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore and Kasturba Medical College, Manipal are now clubbed under a single name “Kasturba Medical College.”
One of the most renowned medical colleges in India, KMC was established in 1953. KMC boasts of being an alma mater to students not only from India but also from other parts of the world.
The college is committed to offering world-class infrastructure to its students. The college has wi-fi facility available throughout the campus.
It has been ranked among the top 5 medical colleges in India by Hindustan Times and among the top 3 by The Hindu.
KMC has been on the top ten list for 11 years from 2005 to 2015 (except 2012).
- Admission to the undergraduate courses (M.B.B.S. and B.D.S.) of KMC is done on the basis of the rank obtained in the All India Manipal University ONLINE Entrance Test (MU-OET) conducted by Manipal University.
King George’s Medical University
King George’s Medical University is a medical school situated in Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh. The University has managed to get a position in the top 10 Medical Colleges in India for the year 2014-2015.
The foundation stone of the University was laid down in 1906 and it started functioning from 1911.
The university boasts of being an alma mater of the eminent Medical professionals like NareshTrehan, Autar Singh Paintal, and B.K. Anand.
- Admission to M.B.B.S. and B.D.S. courses of the University are done through the UP State Combined Pre Medical Test (U.P. CPMT) and the All India Medical Entrance Examination.
St. John’s Medical College
Established in 1963, St. John’s Medical College is situated in the city of Bangalore, the capital of Karnataka. The college is a private Christian minority College and Hospital spread over a sprawling 140 acres campus.
The college has been accorded a 5-star grading by NAAC. It has been granted the privilege of conducting its own entrance tests by the Supreme Court of India. The Supreme Court has also recognized that St. John’s Medical College holds a distinguished status among the private medical colleges of the country in the matter of admissions made strictly on the basis of merit.
The college has this noble aim of training professionals specifically to provide services in the medically underserved areas of India. The students entering the college have to execute a bond to serve in these areas for at least 2 years after the completion of their course.
Presently the college offers a number of undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma and super specialty degrees recognized by the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.
St. John’s Medical College is a constituent of St. John’s National Academy of Health Sciences. The academy comprises the following other colleges:
- John’s Medical College Hospital
- John’s Research Institute
- John’s College of Nursing
- John’s Institute of Health Management and Para Medical Studies
- To secure admission in St. John’s Medical College, the candidate has to appear in the entrance examination conducted by St. John’s Medical College every year.
These were the top 10 medical colleges of India which proudly boast of their pedagogy, infrastructure, rankings, placements etc.
It is important to note that these top 10 medical colleges in India follow the most stringent admission procedures and getting through these procedures require serious efforts. So, buckle up to start the journey. All the best 🙂
*Note: The colleges listed in the above article were chosen on the frequency with which they featured in ‘Top Colleges’ lists, national and local, compiled by different organizations. The selected colleges in no way reflect partisanship of any form, by Edunuts or its writers.
2 thoughts on “Top 10 Medical Colleges In India : Rankings, Eligibility, & Admission Procedure”
tell me when nursing recrutement comes.also when msc nursing etrance exam comes
Nice Post! very informative, thanks for sharing… Also refer https://www.collegezippy.com to search more Medical Colleges in India easily.