With career opportunities snowballing in the media industry, youngsters across the country are rushing to build a career in mass communication and Journalism.
Besides, increased dependency on mass media and enormous developments in the industry further adds to the reasons for choosing this field.
However, tough competition and a constant battle of choosing the best makes it difficult to thrive in the industry.
To stand out from the crowd, it is vital that you have proper knowledge and the right skill set. For that, pursuing the right course from the right college is what you need to gain the extra edge.
Keeping this mind, here, in this article I have compiled a list of top 10 mass communication and journalism colleges in India.
Though there are numerous options that you can opt for, the colleges mentioned below are certainly the best across the country.
Top 10 Journalism & Mass Communication Colleges In India
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi
- Xavier Institute of Communication, Mumbai
- Amity School of Communication, Noida
- Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, BHU
- Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media, Bengaluru
- Manorama School of Communication, Kottayam
- Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad (MICA)
- AJ Kidwai Mass Communication Research Centre (AJKMCRC)
- Asian College of Journalism, Chennai
- Department of Media Studies, Christ University
Given below are the details pertaining these colleges:
Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi
The Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) was established in the year 1965. It is an Indian media centre of learning, promoted and funded by the Government of India.
Other than Delhi, IIMC is located in 4 more states, namely, Orissa (Dhenkanal), Mizoram (Aizwal), Maharashtra (Amaravati), and Jammu & Kashmir (Jammu).
IIMC holds a respectable place in the media industry. It is acclaimed across the country for its excellent course structure. It facilitates its students with world class teaching, training, and research facilities.
The courses offered by IIMC are as under:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism (English)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism (Hindi)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism (Odia)
- Postgraduate Diploma Advertising & Public Relations
- Postgraduate Diploma Radio & Television Journalism
- Diploma Development Journalism
- Diploma Urdu Journalism
Xavier Institute of Communication, Mumbai
The Xavier Institute of Communication (XIC) was established in 1969. At present, XIC works as an autonomous unit of the Bombay St. Xavier’s College Society Trust.
XIC ranks among the biggest non-government media centers in Asia. The institute is well-known for its excellent infrastructure. It bestows its students practical learning experience, which helps them understand every aspect of this dynamic industry.
Presently, XIC offers a number of Diploma and Certificate course in Mass Communication and Journalism namely:
- Certificate in Creative Writing Workshop Conducted Himali Kothari
- Certificate in Creative Writing Workshop conducted by Renu Balakrishnan
- Certificate in Computer Graphic For Print Design
- Diploma Journalism & Mass Communication
- Diploma in Communication for Development
- Diploma in Mass Communication Marathi
- Diploma in Film, TV & Digital Video Production
- Certificate Photography
- Diploma in Advanced Integrated Communication Program
- Diploma in Advertising & Marketing Communication
Amity School of Communication, Noida
Amity University is among the top-hole universities of the country. The university established the Amity School of Communication, under its umbrella, in the year 1999.
Excellent infrastructure, eminent faculty, and great links with the media industry makes this institution a hit among the students.
It offers a large number of courses at UG, PG, and Ph.D. level. From B.A. Journalism and Mass Communication course to Ph.D. in Mass Communication, all is offered here.
The list of courses offered by Amity School of Communication is as under:
- B.A. (Film & Television Production)
- B.A. (Journalism & Mass Communication) – 3 Continent
- B.A. (Journalism & Mass Communication)
- B.A. (Journalism & Mass Communication) – Evening
- B.A.(Mass Communication – International)
Post Graduate Programs
- MA (Advertising & Marketing Management)
- MA (Film & TV Production)
- MBA (Media Management)
- MA (PR & Event Management)
- MBA (PR & Event Management)
- M.A. (Journalism & Mass Communication)
- Ph.D. (Mass Communication)
- Ph.D. (Mass Communication) – Part Time
Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, BHU
Established in the year 1973, The Department of Journalism and Mass Communication is a significant part of the Banaras Hindu University. It works to enhance the expertise of its students in the all related fields of Journalism and Mass Communication.
Focusing on the practical approach, students are engaged in projects that involve field visits, reporting, shooting, and recording on various topics.
Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, BHU offers a number of programmes for the students of Journalism and Mass Communication like:
- MA Mass Communication
- Masters in Corporate Communication Management
- PG Diploma in Hindi Journalism
- PG Diploma in Communication Skills
- PG Diploma in Health Communication
- PG Diploma in Theatre Communication
Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media, Bengaluru
Established in the year 2001, the Indian Institute of Journalism (IIJNM) aims to provide a perfect amalgamation of practical and theoretical aspects of Journalism and Mass Communication to its students.
The curriculum is designed in association with Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, New York. It involves everything that is followed and practiced in the media industry.
IIJNM offers programs in print, television, radio, and online/multimedia Journalism.
At present, IIJNM offers following Diploma programs:
- Diploma Print
- Diploma Broadcasting
- Diploma Multimedia
- Postgraduate Diploma Print
- Postgraduate Diploma Broadcasting
- Postgraduate Diploma Multimedia
Manorama School of Communication, Kottayam
The Manorama School of Communication aims to provide hands-on experience to its students to become successful in the media industry. It helps its students to develop the skills to deal with large and small media organizations.
MASCOM trains its aspiring journalists with a view to make them fully integrated members of the media industry.
As of now, MASCOM offers the following courses for the media aspirants.
- PG Diploma in Print Journalism
- PG Diploma in Broadcast Journalism
Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad (MICA)
Another institute that tops the list is the Mudra Institute of Communications (MICA). The Institute came into existence in the year 1991.
In 2017, MICA was recognized as one of the best Education Brands in India by Economic Times. Also, it was ranked as the premier business school in the realm of Strategic Marketing and Communication in the Asia-Pacific region.
MICA campus is located in Ahmedabad and has a great infrastructure to boast about. MICA has the following programmes to offer to the students:
- Fellow Programme In Management – Communications (FPM-C)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management (Communications) – PGDM (C)
- Postgraduate Certificate Programme in Crafting Creative Communications (CCC)
- Postgraduate Certificate Programme in Advertising Management and Public Relations (PGCPAMPR) – Online
- Postgraduate Certificate Programme in Market Research and Data Analytics (PGCPMRDA) – Online
- Postgraduate Certificate Programme in Retail Management (PGCPRM) – Online
- Certificate Programme in Digital Marketing – Online
AJ Kidwai Mass Communication Research Centre (AJKMCRC)
AJ kidwai Mass Communication Research Center (AJKMCRC) was founded in the year 1982. The center is located in Delhi and is a part of Jamia Millia Islamia University.
Since its inception, AJKMCRC has been churning out skilled mass communication graduates for the industry. It has been constantly rated as the best journalism school of India.
The centre is known for its selection process to select students before. Only 50 students are selected to study for the prestigious Mass Communication course while other courses have 20 odd seats.
Following courses are offered by the centre. Have a look.
- M.A in Mass Communication
- M.A in convergent Journalism
- M.S in Development Communication
- M.S in Visual Effects and Animation
- P.G Diploma in Broadcast Technology
- P.G Diploma in Still Photography and Visual Communication
- P.G Diploma in Acting
Asian College of Journalism, Chennai
The Asian College of Journalism is another great option for the journalism aspirants. It was found in the year 1994 by the Indian Express group, offering only a print course.
However, today the college offers postgraduate diploma with specialisation in four streams, namely, Television, Print, New Media and Radio, under its 10-month programme.
Admission to the program is through a three-stage process:
- Application-applications are screened and successful candidates are invited to take a test
- Test-of English, General Knowledge, and an Essay
- Interview-successful candidates are invited for an interview in Chennai
The various diploma programs offered by the ACJ are listed below:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Television Journalism
- Postgraduate Diploma in Print Journalism
- Postgraduate Diploma Radio in Journalism
- Postgraduate Diploma in New Media Stream Journalism
Department of Media Studies, Christ University
The Department of Media Studies, Christ University was established in the year 1991. The Department is managed by the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
The department always strives to optimize the theoretical rigour and practical exposure of its students. It is done through a constantly evolving curriculum, plethora of activities, workshops, and exposure to key experts from the various fields of communication.
The courses offered by the department are as follows:
- Certificate in Basic Photography
- Certificate in Media and Communication Research
- BA CEP-Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Communication and Media, English, and Psychology
- BA JPEng-Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Journalism, Psychology, English
- Master of Arts (MA) in Media and Communication Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Media Studies
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Media Studies
So these are some of the top-notch mass communication and journalism colleges across the country.
You can check out our list of top colleges in other fields, too, such as
For any other query, feel free to share with us in the comment section below.