Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is a test for the candidates whose native language is other than English, and who wish to find the best options to work or study in English speaking countries like U.S.A., Canada, Australia, conducted by Educational Testing Service (ETS).
TOEFL is accepted worldwide, in 9,000 colleges in more than 130 countries, to be precise.
Along with the tips, I have also gathered the best TOEFL study material available online and offline, to help you study and get an out and out admirable score.
There has always been anxiety when we plan to study for a particular exam, and it is very acceptable, you do not have to feel bad about it. This is human tendency. So to overcome this anxiety, here, I have mentioned section-wise tips to give you a better outlook and help you prepare well for each section of the exam.
Here is how to prepare for TOEFL:
Writing Tips for TOEFL Test
TOEFL Writing Task 1
The task will involve a reading passage with minimum three paragraphs.
You are to write a brief on the paragraph in your words as the sole motto of this task is to improvise and get an idea about how well you can form and transform your thoughts about a specific topic in your words through the medium of writing with:
- An introduction, describing the outlook of the paragraph you just read.
- Then, you have to mention a minimum of three points explaining the key points very briefly that it doesn’t recreate the same words, but make sure the points are well explained in the simplest words along with the reasons for the points you are making.
- The expected word count for this essay is around 250 words, but the score will get a boost if you have a high word count. I would recommend 350 – 400 words.
TOEFL Writing Task 2
The second task for the TOEFL writing test can say to be a vast task, as you will get around 200 topics, and you have to choose the topics you are going to write about, wisely.
Let me describe to you on how to write this. There are two types of styles, 4 paragraph essay, and 5 paragraph essay.
- The 4 paragraph style contains, one introduction point, 2 points in the body, and one conclusion point. The 5 paragraph style includes one introduction point, 3 points in the body, and one conclusion point.
- You can choose to write your answer in any or both of the styles in the various topics you chose to write about. Typically, the 4 paragraph style is used when you find that you lack to make points to argue with. This can help you well in increasing our word count.
- You shall use the 5 paragraph style when you have more ideas than word count.
- I would recommend you to use your personal experiences and worldly examples while you write your answers. This helps build word count and give the essay more meaning and shows your inclination to express your expressions, giving a sense of how well you connect with the language.
Here’s a video describing how to write and score well in the writing section
Listening Tips for TOEFL Test
This section is an interesting one.
- The listing passages are based on academic type environments and campus-type environments to check your listening skills in different surroundings, and to get the idea of how well you can grasp the language when a native speaker talks.
- You are advised to be attentive while giving this task as the audio recordings shall not be repeated in any case.
- This sections, however, requires exquisite note taking skills. So be prepared with a pencil and the notepad provided, as soon as the task starts.
You can listen to the following video to get a quick outlook about the listening section:
Speaking Tips for TOEFL Test
In this section, you have to speak. The exam records your voice and sends it to the evaluator. Before beginning the section, your voice will be calibrated.There will be six tasks with six questions in each task. You are expected to speak for about 45 – 60 seconds.
- Speak slowly and clearly. DO NOT elongate your speech by appending “umm,””hmmm,” “eh,” or any other dragging bits.
- Speak in English with your friends and family. Ask your peers to correct you if you have made a mistake.
- Watch English movies and learn how different people pronounce different words.
- Do not complicate your vocabulary, instead, try to communicate clearly. Practice daily with the authentic material available.
Watch this video for some quick speaking tips with the structure:
Reading Tips for TOEFL Test
To prepare yourself for the reading section, read books, newspapers, articles (not just for the exam, but regularly). Any books would do for that matter. You only need to thrive the patience to sit and read a thousand words in a single stretch.
Here is an amazing video you can watch to retain some quick tips for TOEFL reading practice:
If you develop this skill, TOEFL reading practice will become easier and the reading section would be only a piece of cake.
Some General TOEFL Preparation Tips
You can simply follow the TOEFL preparation tips and tricks mentioned below and pass the test with flying colors. Let the chips fall where they may.
The first tip shall be that you must understand the TOEFL test well before you start preparing.
- To perform well in the four sections of the test, you have to be familiar with the different English accents like British, American, Northern, Anglo and many.
- Read as much, and quickly look up in the dictionary if you find a new word.
- Watch various English TV series and movies with and without subtitles.
- You can also listen to podcasts and songs in English to prepare for the listening part of the test.
TOEFL Books for Preparation
Some of the finest books to prepare for TOEFL are mentioned below:
- The official guide to the TOEFL test, Fourth Edition
- Official Toefl IBT Tests – Vol. 2 (With Dvd)
- Cambridge Preparation for the Toefl Test Book with 1 CD-ROM and 8 Audio CD
- Vocabulary and Grammar for the TOEFL Test (Collins English for the TOEFL Test)
Test Preparation Material for TOEFL
Here is a free test preparation course to help to advance English language skills by TOEFL.
You can take practice tests online, Here.
Free Test Preparation Material for TOEFL
There are a number of websites that offer free TOEFL preparation material and TOEFL online practice tests. Some of them are:
- TOEFL Test Preparation: The Insider’s Guide
- TOEFL iBT interactive sampler
- TOEFL iBT Test Questions
- TOEFL iBT Quick Prep
- TOEFL iBT Test Prep Planner
- TOEFL iBT Test Questions
Here I end this article, hoping it will be of some help to you.
For any queries, comments, and for assistance regarding your career choice please leave a comment below, our counselors will reach you. 🙂
2 thoughts on “TOEFL Preparation Tips, Tricks & Strategies That Works Fine As Wine”
It was useful
this blog is perfect as it contains all the knowledge required to a person about TOEFL, thank you so much for sharing this.