Staff Selection Commission (SSC) has revamped its Combined Graduate Level (CGL) exam structure by eliminating the interview round and introducing two additional papers, i.e. TIER III and TIER IV.
We have already covered TIER I and TIER II.
So, in this post, we will discuss all you need to know about SSC CGL TIER III and TIER IV.
SSC CGL TIER III
TIER III is a descriptive writing paper. Candidates can attempt it in any of the two languages: Hindi and English.
As SSC is conducting the TIER III paper for the first time, it is hard to predict the difficulty level. However, it is never wise to underestimate a challenge.
So, to ace the SSC CGL exam, you need to diligently prepare for the TIER III paper.
Let’s understand the paper better:
What does the SSC CGL TIER III paper cover?
The paper is designed to test a candidate’s writing skills. It would contain questions on essay writing, application/letter writing, precis writing, etc.
As the paper is being conducted for the first time, we cannot predict the exact paper pattern.
What is the mode of the SSC CGL TIER III & Tier IV paper?
It is a pen and paper based exam.
The total marks for the paper will be 100.
Candidates will get a maximum of 60 minutes to write the paper. There is no specification by the authority regarding the number of questions. Here is SSC CGL new pattern (TIER III):
Source: Official notification
Tips To Prepare For SSC CGL TIER III & Tier IV Exam
- Whenever you are preparing English for SSC CGL, for any paper: TIER I/II/III, start reading reputed newspapers, specially the editorial section.
- The best newspapers to refer are The Hindu and Hindustan Times. Candidates who wish to attempt the exam in Hindi can read newspapers like Navbharat Times and Dainik Jagran.
- A quora user, Brajesh Prasad, put forth a great advice for writing compelling essays. He says: Regularly reading a reputed newspaper will give you all that you need for this exam:
- It will enlarge your vocabulary.
- It will strengthen your grammar.
- It will keep you updated so that you can add strong citations to your essay.
- So, basically, it will help you improve your overall writing skills.
- Start Writing
If you want to dazzle the examiner with your writing skills, start writing today. In fact, start writing now.
The quantity of writing doesn’t matter as much as writing regularly. Start small. Initially, set a daily writing schedule of 15 minutes. Stick to it for a few days. Gradually, you can increase it up to an hour a day.
- Do not use a laptop to write. Instead, use pen and paper
These days, we rarely use pen and paper to write anything. We prefer mobile to prepare even a simple shopping budget.
If you are not used to writing with pen and paper, you will feel uncomfortable in the exam hall. You will frequently get stuck.
Using pen and paper will familiarise you with the exam atmosphere.
You’ll Also Like: Best Resources To Crack SSC CGL Tier I & Tier II Exam
Best Books To Refer For SSC CGL TIER III paper
- For enlarging vocabulary, you can refer to this book called Word Power by Norman Lewis. This book is the best vocabulary builder ever. Always supplement it with reading newspapers, novels, and blogs.
- You don’t need any particular book to improve your grammar. All you need to do is regular reading and writing.
Besides, whenever a grammatical doubt creeps in, google it or refer to dedicated grammar blogs like Grammarly and Grammar Girl Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing.
- To accurately understand the style of writing essays, you can refer to this book: 151 Essays by SC Gupta
Most of the students underestimate this exam because the marking scheme is not that stringent. However, you shouldn’t forget that your competition is with the candidates who have already cleared TIER I and TIER II. Taking this exam lightly is a mistake that you don’t want to make.
REGULAR reading and writing are the only ways to excel at this exam.
Besides, choose the language of the exam wisely. Choose the language you are more comfortable with. The one in which, you think, you are more expressive.
Here are some excellent tips to improve your academic writing skills:
SSC CGL TIER IV
The TIER IV paper, i.e. Data Entry Skill Test/Computer Proficiency Test is designed to test your typing speed and your basic knowledge of computers.
Here are some free online tools to help you speed up your typing:
- Typing.com: The website has a collection of excellent typing tutorials. There are tutorials for all kinds of learners: from beginners to advanced level learners. You can also take practice sessions at various intervals to check your progress.
- Typeracer.com: At this website, you learn proper typing with the help of games. You also compete with others to improve your typing speed.
- Rapid Typing Zone’s TypeDown: The website offers tutorials, games, and tests that can very quickly improve your typing speed.
I hope this information helps you. Good Luck 🙂
Got any queries or suggestions? Do not hesitate to write your comment below.