UK Student Visa Information

Visa Description

Unless the applicant is an European Economic Area or Swiss national or is living outside the United Kingdom, he/she have to obtain a Tier 4 student visa to study in the UK. Once they have been provided with a place or a course, the university/college will advise them on how to apply for their student visa from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). The candidates of different countries such as Australia, Canada, Japan, USA as well as other EU countries who currently hold a valid passport of their country do not require any visa for airport transit, tourist or business trips (for stays up to 90 days) in the United Kingdom. Their passport must not lapse before the end of the scheduled trip.

Tier 4 visa

  1. The application process for a Tier 4 visa is very uncomplicated and straightforward up to a point where the applicant is prepared. The Tier 4 visas are authentic for use on the course of study at the particular university that they were formerly issued for.
  2. If a student has a Tier 4 visa issued for education at another University, then the student must apply to extend their visa before they can enrol at UCL. If a student already has a Tier 4 visa issued for study at UCL and they are initiating a new course of study, the applicant must apply to extend their visa before they are allowed to enrol on their new programme of study.
  3. In both the instances, an applicant does not require to have received their new visa before the initiation. However the candidate must be able to prove to the authorities that they have already submitted their extension application.
  4. All the students belonging to the UK under the Tier 4 student visa need a University or some other UK educational institution on the register of sponsors to sponsor them. The applicants also need to score sufficient points to be accepted as an foreign student in the UK.
  5. Categories - The Tier 4 student visa is categorised into two student sections of the points-based system:

    1. Tier 4 (General) student – It is for the applicants coming to the UK to attain higher education. The student must be at least 16 years of age.
    2. Tier 4 (Child) student – It is for the children between 4 and 15 years of age coming to the UK for their education. The independent fee-paying school provides education to the children between 4 and 15 years old.

    If a student is registered in a bachelor's degree programme or in a higher education at any UK college that is listed on both the official ‘UKBA Sponsor list’ as well as the ‘recognised bodies’ list, you are allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week and also work full-time during vacations or summer holidays.


An applicant must have: - A qualified and complete offer of a place on a program with a licensed Tier 4 sponsorship. - Should have a sufficient amount of money to support themselves and pay for their particular course - the amount will vary depending on the circumstances. - The students should be in a full-time programme leading to a qualification, which is, at least, level 6 on the Ofqual register an overseas course of degree level study that’s equal to a UK higher education course and is being managed by a foreign higher education institution. - They should also include a minimum of 15 hours per week of organised daytime study, leading to a qualification which is, at least, level 3 on the Ofqual register along with a recognised foundation programme as a postgraduate doctor or dentist.

English Language Requirements

The applicant, before applying for the UK student visa should prove their knowledge and proficiency of the English language. It requires a student to secure the English language test (SELT).

Institution CourseEnglish Language RequirementsLevel
Higher Education Institution (HEI)Degree level or aboveReading, writing, listening and speakingEquivalent to CEFR (Common European Framework for languages) level B2
Institution that’s not HEIDegree level or aboveSELT in reading, writing, listening and speakingCEFR level B2
Any institutionBelow DegreeSELT in reading, writing, listening and speakingCEFR level B1

Higher Education Institutes can choose the ways to assess a student’s knowledge of English language. The students must still be at: - CEFR level B2 if they are studying at a degree level or higher. - SELT in reading, writing, listening and speaking and CEFR level B1 if they are not studying at a degree level The test needs to be from an approved provider.


There are certain exceptions to the application process of the UK student visa. The applicants need not prove their knowledge of English if they have recently completed their qualification equivalent to the UK degree in countries like Australia, Barbados, Grenada, Belize, The Bahamas, Dominica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, Jamaica, Ireland, UK, USA, St. Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, etc. The students are also not required to prove their English speaking proficiency if one of the following applies:

  • They’re a national of Canada or any of the countries mentioned above
  • They have studied in the UK before as a Tier 4 (Child) student
  • They’re applying to come to the UK for a study abroad programme as part of a
  • university degree course in the USA

Documents Require

Following are the documents necessary for the application of a UK visa:

  • A complete visa application form - If a particular country does not support online application, he/she must submit VAF9 along with a self-assessment form Appendix 8.
  • A current passport or any other valid travel documentation proof that an applicant can support themselves and pay for their chosen program.
  • One passport size colour photograph.
  • An evidence of the permission to reside in the country from where the candidate is applying, if he/she is not a national of that country.
  • Previous passports.
  • The visa will vary depending on the circumstantial proof of parental or other legal guardian's consent if the applicant is under 18 years of age.
  • The tuberculosis test results if the student is from a country where it is necessary to take the test.
  • An extra page in the passport that is blank on both sides for the visa stamp.
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) - Before applying for permission to enter the UK under Tier 4 (General), the applicant's education provider must assign a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). It confirms that the student has been provided with an unconditional offer of a place on a program of study with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor.
  • Documents used to obtain CAS - Students residing in the low-risk nationalities studying programmes with sponsors that hold Tier 4 Sponsor status, generally do not have to present documents at the visa application stage in respect of their educational qualifications. (The current list of low-risk nationalities is shown in Appendix H of the Immigration Rules.)
  • There are other additional requirements if a candidate is applying to study a program that requires an ATAS clearance certificate, or if they are a postgraduate doctor or a dentist.
  • Assessment - The applicant do not need to include any documentation if the course is at National Qualification Framework (NQF) level 3 or above, and the student has been determined by additional means (such as references, a portfolio of artwork, an interview, or the Tier 4 sponsor's test or entrance examination). However, the Tier 4 sponsor must include details of how they assessed them on the CAS.
  • Assessment of the English language competence - The student is required to provide a Secure English Language Test (SELT) from an approved exam provider to confirm the English language proficiency in two instances: 1. If a student is applying to study for a program below the degree level at a higher education institution. 2. If a student is applying to study at a Tier 4 sponsor that is not a higher education institution.The applicant is not required to provide a SELT if the student has successfully finished a course of study in the UK as a Tier 4 (Child) student.
  • The documents will usually be sent back within a span of 14 days

Extending the visa

The applicant is required to stay longer to continue their course or study a new one. An applicant must: - Meet the eligibility criterion of the visa be in the UK. - They must include the dependents in the application if they’re on the current visa, including children who have turned 18 during the stay.

Family members / Dependants

The family members (dependants) might be able to apply to join or remain with the applicant in the UK if they’re from outside the European Economic Area or Switzerland.

A dependant (family member) is either:

  • The applicant's husband, wife or civil partner
  • Unmarried or same-sex partner
  • The applicant's child under 18 years of age- including if they were born in the UK during their stay.
  • The applicant can apply to bring a dependant to the UK if they’re:

  • Sponsored by a higher education institution on a program at level 7 on the Ofqual register or above that lasts one year or more
  • A new government-sponsored student on a program that lasts longer than six months
  • A Doctorate Extension Scheme student
  • They’ll also need to pay the health care surcharge as part of their application.

Where to apply for the Visa Application

The U.K. Embassy and Consulates in India are located at the following addresses:

  • Goa - British Consulate