HSEE is conducted by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, one of the oldest departments at IIT Madras. It is intended to admit students to the five year integrated M.A. programme conducted by the Department. The programme is conducted in two streams, i.e., Developmental Studies and English Studies. The first two years of the programme are common to all the students. In the second year, students have to opt a stream. Following are all the details pertaining HSEE 2017.
Candidates applying for HSEE-2017 must have passed any one of the following qualifying examinations for the first time in 2016 or should be appearing in the said examination in 2017:
• The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (www.aiuweb.org).
• Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a Board or University recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
• Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy.
• Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
• Any Public School, Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities.
• H.S.C. vocational examination.
• General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
• High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
Candidates who have completed Class XII (or equivalent) outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce a certificate from the Association of Indian Universities to the effect that the examination they have passed is equivalent to the Class XII examination.
In case the Class XII examination is not a public examination, the candidate must have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination earlier.
For more information on eligibility criteria, click here.
The examination fee for HSEE 2017 will be as follows:
There will be an additional service charges of Rs. 35/- for the exam. The examination fee must be paid either through Net Banking/Credit Card/Debit Card or through the Indian Bank Challan generated during the process of application.
Candidates can apply for HSEE 2017 only through online mode.
HSEE 2017 question paper will be divided into two parts. The duration of the exam will be 2 and a half hours. Part I will be objective type whereas Part II will contain essay type questions. The language of the paper will be English.
Part I will consist of following topics:
(i) English and Comprehension Skill;
(ii) Analytical and Quantitative Ability;
(iii) General Studies covering the areas of Indian Economics (since Independence), Indian Society, Contemporary World Affairs (post-World War II); and
(iv) Environment and Ecology.
The reservation of seatsfor HSEE 2017 will be as per the Government of India norms.
To download the previous year papers, click here.
The result for HSEE 2017 shall be announced on May 09, 2017. Candidates can check their result on the official website of HSEE.
After successful registration, candidates can download their admit cards from the official website.
The total number of seats for the programme is 46 and from the third year onwards the number of seats will be 23 in each stream.
The entrance examination will be conducted in the following 12 cities:
For complete syllabus, click here.
Candidates qualifying this exam shall be eligible for admission to the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at IIT Madras.
17.12.2016 to 27.01.2017
Application Status Check on the Website
17.02.2017 to 17.02.2017
Availability of Admit Card
17.03.2017 to 15.04.2017
HSEE 2017 Exam Date
HSEE 2017 Result
Issue of Offer Letters
Category: Humanities + Social Science